Monday, January 5, 2009

Old School Animation

Diehard Pixar fans, you have been warned; I am an old-school animation fan, so of course I have my own personal critiques on what is being done nowadays.

Recently, I rediscovered a love for animated movies, which I used to watch often in my adolescent youth. Just to let the reader know, I am not a fan of "modern" animation of the new "digital age," nor the repetitive re-hashing of old disney/hollywood formulas, or the insanely ridiculous number of sequels which now seem to be all the rage in American film studios such Land Before Time XIII [2007] (Land Before Time 13, for you Roman Numeral illiterates)

All in all, I believe that rather than focusing on the heart and beauty of visual storytelling , the use of CGI(Computer Graphic Imagery) is now overdone and overpublicized; also the "story" and characters have become completely one-dimensional and "cleaned up" to the point of superficialty and total lack of artistic value.

I recently finished watching The Great Mouse Detective, The American Tail, The Secret of NIMH, Robin Hood, The Rescuers, and little bit of Bambi. Right now, I am watching Plague Dogs- a European, animated film about 2 canine test subjects whom escape from the lab and attempt to survive off the wild and are soon sought after by their former captors as a growing number of sheep are killed and rumours spread that they are potential plague-carriers.

Plague Dogs particularly challenge the common misconception that animation is meant only children. Considering the subject material, the makers of the film do anything, but shy away from the graphic cruelty done to animals for the man's "benefits"(loose term)
I love animals and do not see any cause to view them as inferior to ourselves. While I am not going to go into a ranting of self-righteous political propaganda about the experimenting on animals, I hope to someday make a difference in fighting animal abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment