Monday, January 5, 2009

Intro to My Music

My favourite genre of music is rock. Personally I don't know much about it. I can't even "classify" the songs I listen to in the "correct" subgenres. Just as much of the music from the 60's have been meshed into various groups such as rock, blues, pop, etc. Rock and pop are supposed to seperate genres yet performers such as Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, The Who, typically classified as rock, performed at the Monterey Pop festival alongside Janis Joplin, The Mamas and the Papas, and the Grateful Dead, etc.

From then on, I gave up. Although through this, I run the risk of being called "ignorant," which I abhor, so be it. Personally I don't care about the subgenres; it doesn't deafen my respect for 2 of my most admired musicians: Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. Honestly, I don't know all their songs; in fact I can only recall about 3 each. I don't keep posters of them splattered all over my bedroom walls. I don't dress like them nor do I bring them up in every conversation, actually I only recall bringing up each performer only one time.

There are some bands with good songs, but go completely downhill after the peak of their success, such as Guns n' Roses, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, etc. Which is why I base my like/dislike for a band in 2 ways: a couple of memorable songs, and the essence of the musicians, themselves. If they have interesting personas and play with their heart and soul, then they have my eternal respect and gratitude for entertainment and inspiration. In my next couple of blogs, I am going to pay tribute to Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, 2 of my favourite musicians: their work, untimely end, and the legacy they left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment